Durable | Precise | Price Reasonable
Chain drive is a method for transferring mechanical power from one location to another. It is typically employed to supply force to the wheel of vehicles especially the bicycles as well as motorbikes. It can also be found in a variety of other machines, including vehicles. WLY is one of the professional transmission chain manufactures and suppliers in China. A wide range of transmission chains such as roller chains, silent chains, leaf chains, pin chains etc. are available. Read below and check for more information!
What is Chain Drive?
Chain drives are typically utilized to transfer power between two parts which are located at a larger distance, however they can also be utilized for shorter distances. They are among the top five commonly used mechanical methods of power transmission along with shaft couplings, gear drives, lead screws, and belt drives. As one of the Chinese drive chain manufacturers and suppliers, we have advanced manufacturing technology and relatively strong manufacturing force, as well as high-end precision testing instruments to ensure that every chain leaving the factory is qualified.
Types of Chain Drives
There’s a myriad of different designs for chain drives created due to the fact that they are used in numerous mechanical applications. They are classified into different categories based on the type of measurement we decide to use as an appropriate yardstick. According to different purposes and functions, the chain is divided into four types: transmission chain, conveyor chain, hoist chain and specialty chain.
- Transmission chain: a chain mainly used to transmit power.
- Conveyor chain: a chain mainly used for conveying materials.
- Hoist chain: a chain mainly used for pulling and lifting.
- Specialty chain: mainly used for chains with special functions and structures on special mechanical devices.
How to Select the Right Chain Drive for Your Application?
Chain drives are mechanical power transmission systems used to transmit motion. These systems have been developed for a variety of applications. They offer advantages over gears and other types of power transmission systems. These include minimal frictional losses and the ability to move mechanical power at high speeds.
The first step in designing a chain drive is to calculate the transmission ratio. This is the number of chain links required to cover a sprocket with a given diameter. Sprockets also need to be compatible with chains. There are a variety of different sprockets to choose from.
Once the input parameters have been calculated, the drive ratio can be used to calculate the chain pitch. This pitch should be 30 to 50 times the center distance of the sprocket.
Once the pitch is calculated, the sprocket position will be adjusted to fit the chain length. The sprocket centerline should be parallel to the horizontal plane. This allows the sprocket to engage with the sprocket.
The sprocket is usually assembled as an assembly with the driven sprocket at the bottom of the drive. This reduces maintenance and extends sprocket life.
Roller chain is the most common type of power transmission. It is designed to join any perforated material. It is important to choose the right roller chain for your machinery. It should be strong and provide load-bearing capacity.
The sprocket is connected to the chain by a pin connection. It is polygonal in shape and has teeth on the sprocket.
Advantages of Chain Drive
Ability to transmit torque over long distances
In contrast to belt drives, chain drives do not slip
Chain drives are more compact than belt drives and can be installed in relatively small spaces
Multiple shafts can be powered by a single chain drive
A multifunctional drive that can work at high temperatures and in various service environments (dry, wet, abrasive, corrosive, etc.)
It is a low-friction system that ensures high mechanical efficiency
Disadvantages of Chain Drives
Non-parallel shafts cannot be used
Chain drives are known to be noisy and cause vibrations
Misalignment may lead to chain slippage
Some designs require constant lubrication
Often require a housing
They need to tension the chain from time to time in the form of tensioning idler sprockets
Drive Chains Maintenance
- The sprocket should be installed on the shaft without skew and swing. In the same transmission assembly, the end faces of the two sprockets should be in the same plane. When the center distance of the sprocket is less than 0.5 meters, the allowable deviation is 1 mm; when the center distance of the sprocket is more than 0.5 meters, the allowable deviation is 2mm. However, it is not allowed to have the phenomenon of friction on the tooth side of the sprocket. If the two wheels are offset too much, it is easy to cause off-chain and accelerated wear. Care must be taken to check and adjust the offset when changing sprockets.
- The tightness of the chain should be appropriate. If it is too tight, the power consumption will be increased, and the bearing will be easily worn; if the chain is too loose, it will easily jump and come off the chain. The degree of tightness of the chain is: lift or press down from the middle of the chain, and the distance between the centers of the two sprockets is about 2-3cm.
- The new chain is too long or stretched after use, making it difficult to adjust. You can remove the chain links depending on the situation, but it must be an even number. The chain link should pass through the back of the chain, the locking piece should be inserted outside, and the opening of the locking piece should face the opposite direction of rotation.
- After the sprocket is severely worn, the new sprocket and chain should be replaced at the same time to ensure good meshing. A new chain or a new sprocket cannot be replaced alone. Otherwise, it will cause poor meshing and accelerate the wear of the new chain or new sprocket. After the tooth surface of the sprocket is worn to a certain extent, it should be turned over and used in time (referring to the sprocket used on the adjustable surface). to prolong the use time.
- The old chain cannot be mixed with some new chains, otherwise it is easy to produce impact in the transmission and break the chain.
- The chain should be filled with lubricating oil in time during work. Lubricating oil must enter the matching gap between the roller and the inner sleeve to improve working conditions and reduce wear.
- When the machine is stored for a long time, the chain should be removed and cleaned with kerosene or diesel oil, then coated with engine oil or butter and stored in a dry place to prevent corrosion.
Transmission Chains Cleaning
Do not soak the chain directly in strong acidic and alkaline cleaners such as diesel, gasoline, kerosene, WD-40 and degreaser, because the inner ring bearing of the chain is injected with high viscosity oil, once it is washed off, it will make the inner ring dry, no matter how much low viscosity chain oil is added afterwards, it will be useless to make up for it.
Recommended cleaning method
- Hot soapy water, hand sanitizer, a discarded toothbrush or a slightly hard brush can be used to clean the chain directly with water. The cleaning effect is not too good, and it needs to be dried after cleaning, otherwise it will rust.
- Special chain cleaner has good cleaning effect, and lubrication effect is also very good.
- Metal powder. Find a larger container, take a spoonful and wash it with boiling water, then put the chain in the water and clean it with a hard brush.
Advantage: It is easy to clean off the oil on the chain, and generally it will not clean off the butter in the inner ring, there is no irritation, and it does not hurt your hands. Bigger hardware stores can buy.
Disadvantage: Since the auxiliary is water, the chain must be wiped dry or dried after cleaning, and it takes a long time.
Lubrication of the chain
After each cleaning, wiping or solvent cleaning of the chain, make sure to add lubricating oil, and make sure the chain is dry before adding lubricating oil. First, penetrate the chain bearing area with lubricant, and then leave it to become sticky or dry. This will lubricate the parts of the chain that tend to wear out (the joints on both sides). A good lubricant will feel like water at first and penetrate easily, but after a while it will become viscous or dry and will provide long-lasting lubrication.
After lubricating the chain, use a dry cloth to wipe the excess oil from the chain to avoid dirt and dust. Before reassembling the chain, remember to clean the interconnections of the chain to ensure that no dirt remains. After the chain is cleaned, when assembling the magic buckle, you should also put some lubricating oil inside and outside the joint shaft.